4.08.2017

BANGLES, BEADS & CASSOULET





SHARON SORKEN makes exquisite jewelry and LOUIS MOSKOW makes exquisite food. And it just so happens that they are Mother and Son and I thought it would be fun to capture their 
dual creativity for CHASING... 


S H A R O N   S O R K E N

I met Sharon a few weeks ago when I was looking for a pink hat for the Women's March. All I knew was that she was a knitter and had volunteered to make a slew of hats for anyone who wanted to show their solidarity. When I went to pick up said hat Sharon was wearing an exquisite necklace and when she said she had made it, I realized that I knew her work, but hadn't known the artist who created these delicately crocheted and hand-beaded jewelry.

Sharon's work is showcased at THE GOLDEN EYE - a jewel box of a store just off the Plaza - offering handcrafted, high karat gold jewelry. I met her there and as  she pulled each piece of her collection from its case, I found the perfect 'stage' to capture their splendor...




These lithe strands of beads and precious stones, with their delicate and perfect patterning,  look like they were birthed from nature - yes magnificent serpentes - but far more friendly.



#gol
The jeweled patterns in her work are endless, notes Sharon, and she uses 14 kt vermiel beads and diminutive tourmalines, sapphires, and rubies. 


Beautiful 14kt. gold plated beads...



Sharon invited me to her studio, a large space on the first level of the lovely home she shares with her husband Ed Sorken. The studio space is a repository of Sharon's talent and past artistic prowess. Before becoming a jeweler, Sharon created designer knitwear and patterns and also worked as a designer for the luxury yarn company - ARTYARNS.








How does she do it?  In simple terms Sharon strings beads and precious stones onto a thread and then sweeps her crochet hook up and over and under, working the beads into a perfect tube/shape. But, she says, it's tricky, if you're off just one bead, the design won't work when you're adding the accent bead.



And a high-powered magnifying glass helps the process along.


And, she roasts her own coffee!







115 Don Gaspar - Santa Fe, NM

505.984.0040
.


L O U I S   M O S K O W


What's not to love about a French Bistro, especially when it's here in Santa Fe, has a contemporary flair and the impresario/owner/executive chef is Louis Moskow. I would always run into Louis at the Farmers Market so when I would dine at 315 I knew exactly where his farm-fresh ingredients hailed from. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, Louis' first stint was at New Orleans' renowned Commander's Palace. He worked his way up through the ranks and then opted to hone his classical techniques in Europe. 

At the invitation of executive chef Matt Yohalem - who he had met at Commander's Palace - Louis moved to Santa Fe to be his sous chef, then executive chef at Bistro 315. When Yohalem  opened Il Piatto, Louis bought the restaurant. And what a delight both visually and gastronomically.




I'm a push over for crisp, white table linens...



Great French wine list...




Everything on the menu was tempting...but I opted for the CASSOULET...cant' get more French than that. It was sublime - a rich, slow-cooked casserole of lamb shoulder, house-made sausage, duck confit and garlicky-herbed white beans. And while I waited, I sipped a lovely  FRENCH 75 - a vintage Champagne cocktail with a splash of gin and simple syrup...with a perfect marinated cherry to go with...



Ah, but I get ahead of myself...before the Cassoulet...


Basil-wrapped Shrimp with Apricot Chutney & a Madras Curry Sauce.


And the rest of the magnificent meal - shared with Sharon and Ed Sorken - Oysters on the Half Shell, Beef Wellington,  Bouillabaisse, and  Profiteroles...





BRAVO LOUIS!
.

 315 
RESTAURANT & WINE BAR


315 Old Santa Fe Trail
505.986.9190


OYSTER HOUR - EVERY DAY 5-7 AT THE BAR
TUESDAYS - 1/ 2 off Oysters & Wine!
.