9.23.2018

THE NEW DOLLS IN TOWN!





What do you do when you find a treasure trove of vintage doll heads? MAKE DOLLS, of course. And that is just what I began doing several years ago.


THE FOLK COUTURE COLLECTION

When I lived in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, before moving to Santa Fe, I would prowl the Saturday market for folk art. And, I loved finding the simple, charming dolls that had embroidered faces and clothing made from scraps of brightly-colored cotton fabric.  I would decorate our Christmas tree or stockings with a gaggle of these lovely finds...


When I moved to Santa Fe, I began making my own dolls. They had the simple embroidered faces, but they were a bit more exotic and I called them FOLK COUTURE DOLLS. I plumbed my stash of fabric swatches French ribbons, and charming ephemera that I had been collecting. When I was ready, I showed them at the RECYCLE SANTA FE SHOW and sold them privately. 






Now, this is where the stash of found bisque doll heads comes in. I found them on e-bay  - one hundred of them - and when they arrived I began making larger dolls using Italian crepe paper, lush fabrics and gorgeous handmade paper to fashion their clothing and headdresses. 






THE NEXT GENERATION 

I gave up doll making a few years ago when I was going full bore with my blog and photography. Recently a friend suggested that I  take up the dolls again, but give them a bit of Santa Fe Savvy, so I did.
'
    THE SANTA FE COUTURE COLLECTION



 .
Note the diminutive Vintage French beaded doll purse and cowboy boots and, not to mention the fur cape.  Runway ready!



Lace & twists of turquoise fit a Santa Fe gal, and the purse was fashioned from a Vintage French shoe buckle.





Where do you find .a doll-size concho belt?  Well, I did find one, but it was an antique and cost a fortune, so I made this one; as well as the turquoise necklace. The tiny leather shoulder bag was a find on e-bay.






The Mother of the Bride?  Had that in mind when I
 fashioned this all white doll with a beaded necklace turned into
a very elegant shoulder bag. 






 When I found a package of hand painted feathers, I couldn't resist. I hung them on my wall of stuff and waited for the doll muse to
strike!






 And, here she is all feathered up!





THE SANTA FE COUTURE COLLECTION

Available soon for purchase

Note: The dolls are 12-15 inches tall and
are placed on a heavy wrought iron stand.


If interested, please send me an
e-mail:  cwhitneyward@yahoo.com

.