3.29.2011

COLLECTED WORKS BOOKSTORE & COFFEEHOUSE - INDEPENDENT & PROUD

                                     Photos by C. Whitney-Ward

We had a library in our house when I was growing up. It wasn't a huge space but it had a wall of shelves filled with leather-bound books. I don't remember reading any of them, I just remember that they were there and I loved looking at them. If I close my eyes I can still smell the musty-leather scent. I guess that's why I love bookstores. They are a wonderful visual stroll. And independent bookstores, like Santa Fe's circa 1978 Collected Works Bookstore & Coffeehouse, exude a personal warmth that is very appealing. 

This 4,000 square foot space is brimming with books  - books by local authors, cookbooks, travel books, poetry books, books on the southwest,  best-selling books -more than  30,000 in all.  









And there are lovely places to sit and ponder and read...



Especially if you're a kid. There's a nice children's book section.


If you're hungry, you can get a  snack at the inviting coffee bar



Love the beautiful old "bakery" case...


And then you can sit in the sun and munch & read away.


But, there's more. Collected Works offers a rich selection of lectures & author/poet/storytelling evenings with the likes of Hampton Sides, Alan Arkin
 and  N. Scott Momaday,  just to mention a few.  Go to their website and check out their weeklycalendar of events. And if you want to find a great read,
 they offer book reviews as well.

What a swell bookstore.

COLLECTED WORKS BOOKSTORE & COFFEEHOUSE

202 Galisteo Street     Santa Fe, NM 87501
505.988.4226