10.31.2013

SANTA FE PUMPKINS


"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than
be crowded on a velvet cushion."

Henry David Thoreau



Photos by C. Whitney-Ward




"Produce great pumpkins, the pies will follow later."







"...dark furrow lines grid the snow, punctuated by orange abacus beads of pumpkins - now the crows own the field..."  John Geddes










"Each year, the Great Pumpkin rises out of the pumpkin patch that he thinks is the most sincere. He's gotta pick this one. He's got to. I don't see how a pumpkin patch can be more sincere than this one. You can look around and there's not a sign of hypocrisy. Nothing but sincerity as far as the eye can see." Linus





"I was something that lay under the sun and felt it, like the pumpkins, and I did not want to be anything more. I was entirely happy. Perhaps we feel like that when we die and become a part of something entire, whether it is sun and air, or goodness and knowledge"  Willa Cather.