4.06.2012

Cody Hooper - Abstract Explosions of Color

Y O U N G    T A L E N T E D   &   G O I N G   P L A C E S


Photos & Text by C. Whitney-Ward

When I walked into CODY HOOPER'S studio it was neat as a pin. No splashes of paint on the floor. No canvases placed willy nilly against walls. And no easel anywhere in sight, just a long table set in the middle of the room to catch the light.  "I guess I shouldn't have cleaned," quipped Cody with a slow smile, realizing that maybe I needed to see a bit of artistic clutter. Nope. All I needed to see was his work, which drew me in with its color,  movement and passionate surfaces.





Cody is self-taught, only beginning to paint professionally two years ago - first in watercolor and then in acrylics.  He  moved to Santa Fe from his home state of Texas last year and is already immersed in Santa Fe's diverse artistic community. He found a gallery -   MCLARRY MODERN on Canyon Road - and is in the throes of preparing for a solo show in July.



He paints on a flat surface because it gives him a different perspective than an easel and more freedom of movement. When he's almost finished, he hangs the painting on a wall to do touch ups and focus on small sections.



What I love about Cody's work are the textural stories within each painting that draw you in, compelling you to experience more.




All of his paintings, says Cody, are based on nature - flowing natural movements, texture and colors - something he learned from painting in watercolor.




Three paintings above are at McLarry Modern


C O D Y   H O O P E R

512.698.7107