11.07.2011

Wearable Art by Kathryn Roth

Photos by C. Whitney-Ward

U N D U L A T I N G


R I P P L I N G



L U S C I O U S


When I met Santa Fe Fiber Artist Kathryn Roth she was wearing one of her amazing felted-wool and chiffon creations and I knew that I had to see her entire collection and to photograph it.  Kathryn lost both her parents a year ago and she began making these beautiful, ruffled scarf/shawls to indulge in a quiet time to grieve and celebrate her parent's life.

"The first shawl that I made I wore to a wedding and got six custom orders," says Kathryn.  Of course she let everyone try it on and that did the trick. "No one wanted to take it off; It leaves a lovely memory on your skin of being the perfect temperature."


She uses traditional felting techniques and gorgeous, soft 'top' Merino wool that offers the longest and straightest hairs. The wool is carded and then layered in varying colors. Soap and water is worked through the layers until the fibers cling together.  Then rectangles of silk chiffon are worked into this marriage of fibers.


They pack like a dream and can be worn wrapped as a scarf or draped as a  shawl. And the colors look like nature personified.



KATHRYN ROTH - FIBER ARTIST

Commissions welcome...


505.992.0308