5.17.2015

CHASING VENICE - A PHOTOGRAPHIC ESSAY




Photography by C. Whitney-Ward

I had been dreaming of going to Venice for years, and finally I did just that. For two glorious weeks I feasted on the magnificence of this incomparable place, wandering, ogling, delighting, and of course, snapping a thousand and one photographs - trying to capture the romance and wonderment that is Venice.

I planned this trip months and months in advance, reading so many books and articles and travel guides that I felt that Venice and I were already old friends. But for one brief moment as we began our descent into Marco Polo Airport,  I wondered if this vividly-imagined place would live up to its exalted reputation.   It did.


This was the first photograph that I took of Venice. And when the image appeared in the viewfinder it seemed to reveal the haunting essence of this beautiful, beautiful place.


The Grand Canal - Venice's main 'street' paved with water - sweeps past gently-hued buildings that seem too impossibly lovely to be real.  And if the army of windows  that punctuate each facade could talk, they would tell a tale of pageantry, intrigue and romance.
  



I rented a charming apartment for my stay in Venice; it was close to the Rialto Bridge and the perfect retreat after a day of meandering.





Each morning I'd throw open the shutters and survey my neighborhood kingdom and its parade of characters -  children  on their way to school; tourists  with backpacks and noisy rolling suitcases; and impeccably-dressed Venetians  dashing to work.

And each day was an adventure bursting with visual treats. Aside from a few must sees, my days were unplanned and spontaneous. I'd head off in a different direction each morning, stopping to take a photo when something caught my eye. I captured vistas,  gondolas, shop windows, architectural details, the every-present pigeons, people, gorgeous food, and  colorful clotheslines pinned with all manner of just-washed  necessities.
Take a visual romp with me...


Gondolas are sleek and beautiful and plentiful. They were first mentioned in an eleventh century document, and according to a law passed in the sixteenth century that has never been rescinded, they must be BLACK. But the opulent interiors break all the rules!





Waiting for a fare.


  



October is still  high season in Venice and there are hoards of tourists everywhere. But, if you get off the beaten paths you can enjoy a few solitary adventures. There is so much to photograph. Venetian doors are resplendent with handsome door knockers and letter slots, and at every turn and twist of a narrow walkway, a visual treasure is revealed.






The details are breathtaking...












The famous venetian pigeons  kindly posed for my photographs.






TO BE CONTINUED...